Lighting is what makes a simple space look beautiful and a beautiful space innocuous. Therefore, when planning your home you need to plan the brightness aspect to ensure your home is cozy and your artwork and furnishings are highlighted in all its beauty. There are two aspects to home lighting – sunlight and lamplight.
You need to ensure that you can use sunlight in the best possible manner with regards to your home lighting. Some suggestions to effectively use sunlight are:
1. Your windows are great sources of sunlight. So you need to ensure that this light is not blocked by secondary glazing, heavy curtains, etc. Instead opt for blinds, light drapes, or shutters.
2. You can use a mirror to effectively brighten up your room by placing it opposite or near to the window.
3. Flooring is another significant factor. Carpets absorb light, whereas marbles and painted floors reflect it.
4. The colors of the floor and walls also make a great impact with regards to the space perception and lighting of a room. White and lighter shades make the room bigger and brighter, while dark shades have the reverse effect.
The next vital element in home lighting is lamplight. This includes the following:
1. Ambience lighting refers to the general lighting of your home. Florescent lights help to brighten up large areas whereas white lights are considered to be dull and are no longer preferred. Halogen lights are more commonly used to give a soft, flattering glow.
2. Accent lights are used to highlight artworks, hobby collections, designer furniture, etc.
3. Decorative lighting as its name suggests is used for decoration. It includes chandeliers, colorful lanterns, etc that are used as part enhancing the interior décor.
4. Task lighting is another significant aspect of home lighting and is used in task areas such as reading, cooking, sewing, studying, etc and is intended to reduce eye strain.